Creating coasters from the metal lids that are on your frozen juice container is super easy and fun to make. It is a great way to repurpose this item that would otherwise be put in your recycling bin. It is also a great way to use scrap fabric, gift-wrapping paper or ends of your scrapbook paper. It can also be a great project for you to do with your kids.
With the help of some ModPodge and Dimensional Magic, this circular piece of metal is transformed into cute coasters. The coasters I made are from a combination of scrap fabric, gift-wrapping paper that my son Matthew received and scrapbook paper.
What you will need:
Paper or fabric
Small Paint Brush
Pin or Needle
1. Clean the lid(s) and dry. You can also use rubbing alcohol to remove any residue or ink printed on the lid(s).
2. Place a lid over the paper or fabric you will like to use and using your pencil, trace around the edge of the lid outlining the image(s) you will like.
3. Cut out the circle from the fabric or paper and place inside the recessed side of the lid (you may have to cut the edges slightly for it to fit)
4. Apply ModPodge to the recessed side of the lid and place your image on top, pressing from the inside and moving outwards with your finger, remove any pockets of air.
5. Apply a coat of the ModPodge to the surface of your fabric or paper and let dry. When dry apply a second coat of ModPodge if you like.
6. Once your project is dry, apply the Dimensional Magic working from the centre and towards the edges of the lid, covering the surface of the fabric or paper.
7. Using a pin or needle, remove any bubbles that may have formed and check periodically while it is drying; removing any bubbles as needed.
8. Let your piece dry overnight on a flat surface. I recommended covering your piece to prevent any dust or other elements from settling on the surface. I used a large glass to cover my pieces.
I think that these coasters are a great way to repurpose the lids. I had lots of fun making them and I hope that you will too. Let me know what you think of the project.