Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Bulletin Board Makeover

I have been using this bulletin board in my son's room for several years now and it was due for a makeover. I was originally planning on using linen and I also considered using burlap, but I finally decided on a neutral colour outdoor fabric. I selected this fabric because it will hold up to daily use and will resist the sunlight from the nearby window.


Before I started covering the bulletin board, I braided three lengths of jute (remaining from the lampshade makeover project) and created a braided trim for around the edge of the board. I also sewed the edge of my fabric with my serger to prevent fraying and to give it a finished look. I then collected the rest of my supplies (as shown above) and a scissors was also needed (not shown).


The first step was to centre the bulletin board under the fabric and flatten it with my hands.


I then placed the first staple top centre, and placed additional staples on both sides of the initial staple. I continued working on alternate sides. The staples were placed approximately 1 1/2 inches apart and I flattened the fabric as I worked. I also stapled the fabric on the back of the board for a neat, tight finish.


The final touch was to hot glue the jute braiding around the inside edge of the board. I knotted one end to secure and glued the other end underneath this point. My son Matt wanted to help with the project, so he did some of the gluing.



The finished bulletin board still needs to be mounted on the wall or maybe it works well where it is right now. I think it looks a lot better than it did before. What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I came over here after you pinned my pattern organization method (http://pinterest.com/pin/180918110003417084/), and I started getting traffic to my blog. Thanks for the repin!

    Anyways, I just wanted to share my own recent DIY memo board, which I totally love as well. :)

    http://vintagezest.blogspot.com/2013/02/diy-magnetic-inspiration-boards-on.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...