Wednesday, May 8, 2013

DIY Magnetic Chalkboard

The project today is a magnetic chalkboard made from a metal tray. I used the "Krylon" Chalkboard Paint and applied two coats in a sweeping motion. I let the tray dry to the touch in between coats and waited for 24 hours as instructed before using. Now I have a board that I can write on and post using magnets.


I really needed something close to my desk as a quick and easy reference during the day as I work through my task. However, I did not want a bulletin board or large chalkboard, so I decided to make something that was simple and would fit the space available next to my desk.


Materials
Metal Tray
Chalkboard Paint
Nail
Hammer
Screw
Screw Driver
Chalk or Chalk Ink

Instructions
1. Clean the surface of the metal tray to remove any residue.

2. Spray or paint metal tray with the chalkboard paint, following the paint instructions.

3. Make a hole at the centre top of the tray, using a nail and hammer.

4. Fasten finished tray to your wall or other location with a screw.


Tip!
If you are using a spray can, it really does work best using a side-to-side motion when spraying. Let the paint dry between coats and I strongly recommend doing it outdoors or in a well-ventilated area.


I used Chalk Ink (Wet Wipe Markers) to embellish, and with the help of a ruler I made lines for my "To-Do" list. You can also use regular chalk if you like or use as a magnetic board to post notes. I also think it looks really cute and is a much needed addition to my workspace.

What do you think of the idea?


UPDATE!
Visit the other projects that are part of our Crafty Home series.

3 comments:

  1. Your magnetic chalkboard is great for putting your objectives for the day. It is just right for a small office space. Thanks for sharing how to create you own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had problems with my paint scratching off. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can try lightly sanding the surface prior to painting and between coats. I hope this will help. Thanks for visit us!

      Delete

Thanks for your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...