Thursday, January 16, 2014

Home Decorating Challenge: Gallery Wall {Part 1}

The thrift store can be a great place to find frames for a gallery wall. Look for different shapes and sizes to make a unique display. Here are some frames I found at the thrift store ranging from $2.99 to $12.99.

I have always loved gallery walls and have always had a gallery wall in my home. Since moving into my current home four years ago, I have been thinking of designing a gallery wall with images that are meaningful to my husband and I. I also want to do something different from what I have done in the past and it has taken me some time to decide on exactly what that will be.

The first task has been to organize hundreds of family pictures spanning four generations. I am carefully selecting images from each generation and will be making copies of the images for the gallery wall. I have been collecting frames and putting together a collection that I think will work well together. Most of the frames I have collected so far are thrift store finds. Some of the frames will require a facelift, and I have not decided if I will paint a few of them in white.


I have gathering some great gallery wall ideas on my home style and diy home decor pinterest boards. Some of my favourites are here, here and here (includes tips).

6 Tips When Shopping for Thrift Store Frames:
  • Shop with a plan; go to the store armed with an idea of what type and style frames will work best for your project.
  • Look for pieces that have an interesting shape or detail.
  • Choose pieces that can easily be refinished or painted in an alternate colour if desired.
  • Frames that include matting are an added bonus, even if you do not use it for the given project they can be used for future projects.
  • Examine each frame for damages or chips in the glass.
  • Set a limit for yourself; go shopping with a budget in mind and stay with it.
Here is an article that provides some additional tips on thrift store shopping.

Do you like the frames I have collected? What do you think of gallery walls?



Home Decorating Challenge - view other projects!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...